I sanded down all of the cabinet doors and the drawer fronts using my new (and amazing) DeWalt Sander. I first used 80 grit sandpaper and then went back over them with a 150 grit sandpaper. The important thing is to remove all of the previous finish and gloss and have a smooth surface so that the new color will more easily be taken by the wood.
I let the doors cure for about a week – mainly because I was busy doing other things in the bathroom!
I reattached the doors to the cabinets once everything else in the bathroom was complete. I would have cried if I’d gotten white paint on them after all that work!
After deciding that I’d like the trim to match the cabinets, I went about painting the baseboards. I didn’t sand them (as I was slightly losing my will to live with all the work) but I did prime them and then paint two coats of Ebony Slate on them.
I painted the windows and the mirror frame after I had finished the walls.
I had to go back over the trim again after I did the walls as I was sloppy and couldn’t seem to avoid getting white all over the trim! I was also lazy and didn’t do enough tape well enough to prevent the need to re-do the trim.
The walls of the bathroom were filthy and painted a yellowish/off white color that was flaking in lots of places.
I washed the walls and ceiling and primed them to prepare them for their fresh coat. I also primed the windows as I needed to get rid of all of that brown wood!
I went to Anthropologie once I had finished all the hard work as my reward and had some fun picking out knobs for the cabinets. In the end though, I decided that I didn’t actually need any knobs as the finished look was so neat and modern. Instead, I simply added some light fixture covers and some fun new towel hooks.